- Crème 300ml
- Milk 200ml
- Caster Sugar 75gm
- Egg Yolks 5
- Vanilla Bean ¼ Pod
- Wattle Seed (Ground) 1 Tsp
- Pre Heat oven to 160 Degrees Celsius (320 Fahrenheit)
- Heat cream, milk, scraped Vanilla Bean and wattleseed in a saucepan until starting to simmer then take off heat.
- In a bowl whisk egg yolks and sugar for a couple of minutes until the yolks turn pale and the sugar granules dissolve.
- Slowly pour the hot liquid into the yolk/sugar mix stirring constantly to avoid cooking the eggs. Take out vanilla pod and skim foam from top of Brule mixture.
- Place 6 Ramekins in a deep baking tray then fill ramekins with Brule mix.
- Pour hot tap water into baking tray, around ramekins until water is halfway up the side of the ramekins.
- Cover tray with foil ( creating a mini steamer ) and place tray in preheated oven for approximately 30/35 minutes.
- Check if ready by removing foil and gently nudging the baking tray to see if the Brule wobbles like jelly in the middle.
- You don’t want them to get to firm in the middle or they will taste of egg.
- Remove ramekins from water bath and cool down and place in fridge.
- Once set, spoon 1 ½ tsp caster sugar over top of each Brule and tilt ramekin to spread sugar over evenly.
- With a blowtorch melt the sugar until almost burnt (giving it a slightly bitter flavour )
Serve with Hunter Valley Botrytis.